Re: [escepticos] Apuntes de inglés (gracias a Ana Botella)

Carlos Ungil carlos.ungil en bluewin.ch
Jue Sep 12 21:39:23 WEST 2013

Hola, hola.

On 12/09/2013, at 11:24, Inés G.A.T. <inesucu en gmail.com> wrote:
> Lo de considerar que otros verbos también tienen pretérito subjuntivo que
> coincide en su forma con el pasado, y que ese tiempo es el que se usa en
> las condicionales no lo veo por ningún lado.

Para que no puedas [*] decir que no lo ves por ningún lado: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive_mood#English
(Insert usual disclaimer about Wikipedia here)

As shown in the above table, the form of the subjunctive is distinguishable from the indicative in five circumstances:
	• in the third person singular of any verb in the present form;
	• in all instances of the verb "be" in the present form;
	• in the first and third persons singular of the verb "be" in the past form;
	• in all instances of all verbs in the future form; and
	• in all instances of all verbs in the present negative form.

On 11/09/2013, at 18:54, Inés G.A.T. <inesucu en gmail.com> wrote:
> Sin embargo, y creo que es un buen complemento a la explicación que acabo
> de dar, "I wish" también se usa para expresar una queja, algo que nos
> molesta... Cuando se usa con esta intención, rige un condicional. "I wish
> you would stop yelling at me". No vamos a liarla con que si en realidad es
> un subjuntivo que coincide con un condicional porque esa expresión en
> español va con subjuntivo ("me gustaría que dejaras de gritarme").
> Simplemente, en inglés va en condicional.

Sí, vamos a liarla: yo diría que aquí "would" funciona como subjuntivo, como el primero de los que aparecen en "if you would stop yelling at me I would be happy".

Otra referencia wikipedística al canto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irrealis_mood

In English, too, the would + infinitive construct can be employed in main clauses, with a subjunctive sense: "If you would only tell me what is troubling you, I might be able to help".

Acabo de descubrir una gramática que será de utilidad para quién quiera escribir igual de bien que el Dr. Johnson: http://books.google.ch/books?id=bnICAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover

Aquí esta todo clarísimo:

The conjunctions _if_, _though_, _unless_, _except_, _whether_, _before_ or _ere_, _left_, _till_, _until_, _howsoever_, implying doubt, require the subjunctive mood after them : as do the pronouns _whosoever_ and _whatsoever_, as
  if he live honestly, he will live happily
  though he deny it,
  unless she come,
  except it be done,
  whether it were he or she,
  before she come, &c.

If they imply no doubt, the following verb is put in the indicative mood, as
  though he was poor, yet he was honest.

_Lest_ and _that_, joined to a command preceding ; and _if_, with _but_ after it, always require the subjunctive mood, as
  take heed lest thou fall,
  take care that he do it soon.

En cuanto a los auxiliares:

_Do_, _did_, _have_, and _had_, with their inflexions, are signs of the present and past time ; _shall_ and _wil_ the future time. _Let_ is placed before the imperative mood, but not as a sign of it, for it is the verb itself in that mood. _May_, _might_, _can_, _could_, _would_, _should_, and their inflections, are signs of the subjunctive mood. The preposition _to_ is placed before the verb, to form the infinitive.

Chau,

Carlitos

[*] Subjuntivo en español, y también en inglés en la construcción equivalente (v.g. "so that you be ready").