Re: [escepticos] Lotería y daño al bien común

Pedro J. Hdez phergont en gmail.com
Vie Nov 28 16:46:21 WET 2008

El 28 de noviembre de 2008 8:48, <david en puntoque.net> escribió:

> La diferencia entre la lotería como "descompensador de igualdad" respecto a
> la función "descompensadora de igualdad" del capitalismo es que el dinero
> ganado con la lotería volverá al circuito monetario exactamente igual que si
> no se jugase a la lotería, mientras que la acumulación de medios de
> producción por unos pocos hace que la riqueza generada se almacene en menos
> manos cada vez más.
>
> Si el dueño de Nike explota a chavales cosiendo balones en Indonesia, claro
> está, está haciendo circular dinero a través de las manos de esos niños, a
> los que pagará mal, pero les paga. Pero esa transacción es, para un
> marxista, injusta, porque la plusvalía generada por el chaval al coser un
> balón no es gestionada por esos chavales sino por el dueño de Nike. Sin
> tanta diferencia aparente ocurre lo mismo cuando uno trabaja para Nike en
> occidente, de hecho. Entonces, si el dueño de Nike gana la lotería o si la
> gana el chaval, si el dueño de Nike invierte 30 euros en lotería o lo hace
> el chaval, no cambia de ninguna manera la injusticia que hay detrás.
> Ocurriría igual si el chaval ganase la empresa Nike a la lotería y el actual
> dueño pasase a coser balones para el chaval: La injusticia solo cambiaría de
> sujeto.
>
> El dinero ganado en la lotería no genera, de hecho, desigualdad social:
> Genera desigualdad de ingresos, pero el que gana la lotería siendo
> proletario sigue siendo proletario, el que lo hace siendo propietario,
> también.Claro que si la diferencia de clases es, para tí, irrelevante,
> entonces ciertamente la igualdad riqueza-dinero es la que importa. Lo que
> pasa es que no es mi caso: Yo entiendo que la desgualdad de riqueza es
> generadora de sufrimiento porque se basa en un sistema injusto, no en una
> circustancia aleatoria que se solucionaría simplemente repartiendo dinero.
>
> Creo que fue Reivaj quien hablaba de la diferencia entre los que tenemos un
> análisis marxista del problema de los que no. Pues juraría que es eso. Por
> lo que, si queremos dilucidar el asunto, quizás sería hora de dejar de
> hablar de la forma y hablar del fondo: ¿La desigualdad que a todos parece
> molestarnos tiene su base en un hecho circustancial, como es que por
> contingencia histórica se haya distribuido mal el dinero, o tiene su raiz en
> un sistema injusto per se que genera el solo una desigualdad por estar
> detentados los medios de producción por unos propietarios privados?

Esta es la mejor respuesta que he leído. Tim Harford en el Economista
Camuflado

"But the old dilemma between efficiency and fairness was about
to be shattered by a young New Yorker called Kenneth Arrow,
who knew all about unfairness after watching helplessly as a teenager
while his father lost his successful business and all his savings
in the Great Depression. The desire for social justice stayed with
Arrow, but intellectually he couldn't just ignore the question of
efficiency. The young economist set his logical mind to wrestling
with the tension between the unerring efficiency of the free market
and the imperative that some kind of fairness should prevail.
His solution was brilliant, twisting the traditional thinking about
competitive markets and efficiency on its head. He proved that
not only are all perfect markets efficient, all efficient outcomes can be
achieved using a competitive market, by adjusting the starting position.
Arrow went on to win every plaudit available to an economist, and
he remains the youngest man ever to win the Nobel Prize for Economics.
But why was his insight so important?
I call it the "head start theorem." Instead of focusing on the enormous
complexity of a real economy, think of a very simple onedimensional
human challenge: the 100-meter sprint. The fastest
sprinter will win the race. If you wanted all the sprinters to cross
the line together, you could just change the rules of the race,
ordering the fast runners to slow down and everyone to hold
hands as they crossed the line. A waste of talent. Or you could
move some starting blocks forward and some starting blocks back,
so that although each sprinter was running as fast as he could,
obeying the usual rules and objectives of sprinting, the fastest
had to cover enough extra ground that he would end up breaking
the tape neck-and-neck with the slowest.
Arrow demonstrated that the same approach could work when
trying to balance the excesses of competitive markets: instead of
interfering with the markets themselves, the trick is to adjust the
starting blocks by making lump-sum payments and levying onetime
taxes.
An example of a lump-sum tax would be the government taxing
everybody eight hundred dollars; or alternatively, taxing
everyone over the age of sixty-five eight hundred dollars; or alternatively,
taxing everybody whose surname on the birth certificate
starts with H eight hundred dollars. The point is that
unlike an income tax or a sales tax on coffee, a lump-sum tax
doesn't affect anybody's behavior, because there is nothing you
can do to avoid it. So unlike sales tax, it doesn't lead to an efficiency
loss. Similarly, an example of lump-sum redistribution
would be to give eight hundred dollars to everybody whose name
starts with H, a policy for which I would be happy to vote.
In the 100-meter sprint, lump-sum taxation is like moving the
starting blocks back a few paces. Income tax and sales tax are like
asking the best runners to run backwards. Both would have the
effect of ensuring a more equal finish, but moving the starting
blocks around doesn't slow anybody down.
In the context of a sprint, it's fairly obvious that one of the
ways to get a close result is to give the slower runners a head
start. In the context of an economy, with literally billions of different
goods, desires, raw materials, and talents, the head start
theorem is a much bolder claim. But it's true: you can allow the
competitive economy to use every skill and every raw material,
take advantage of every opportunity to trade, cooperate, educate,
or invest . . . but still get a fair outcome by moving around
the starting blocks and letting perfect markets do the rest.
The implication is that in a world of perfect markets, the only
thing needed to ensure both fairness and efficiency is a "head
start" strategy: a program of appropriate lump-sum taxes and
subsidies that puts everyone on equal footing. The perfect markets
then find every possible opportunity to make everybody better
off from their revised starting points. The question is, can
this be done in practice?"

saludos

Pedro J.

--