[escepticos] Aniversario de Peary

Miguel Martínez Estremera mimartin en cepymearagon.es
Sab Abr 18 00:34:39 WEST 2009

Ayer, (cambiando de tema) , EL PAIS publicaba una carta al director
de un agudo lector que recordaba, a propósito de que este mes es el
centésimo aniversario de la supuesta llegada de Peary al Polo Norte,
que tal llegada no existión, y que los americanos no llegaron los
primeros al Polo.
Sorprende que el chauvinismo americano es tal que o que es un secreto
a voces en los círculos escépticos americanos...haya sido tan atacado
hasta evitar que llegue al gran público...
Miguel A
In the years following "sTARBABY", Rawlins has continued to receive
publicity by making sensational charges of scientific coverup and
fraud. In 1988 he made national headlines by renewing an earlier
charge he had made before CSICOP's founding, this time supposedly
supported by a new- found document: that Admiral Peary never actually
reached the North Pole during his famous expedition in 1909, but
instead fabricated his navigational records to make it appear as if
he had. A New York Times article of October 13, 1988 carries the
headline: "Peary's Notes Said to Imply He Fell Short of Pole." It
begins: "New evidence based on navigational notes by Robert E. Peary
indicates that the Arctic explorer fell short of his goal and
deliberately faked his claim in 1909 that he was the first person to
reach the North Pole, according to an analysis by a Baltimore
astronomer and historian ... Dennis Rawlins, an independent scholar
who trained as an astronomer and who has a long-standing interest in
Peary's expedition, said yesterday that his analysis of the
navigational notes, mainly sextant readings of the sun to establish
geographic position, indicated that Peary knew that he had come no
closer than 121 miles from the Pole." Officials of the National
Geographic Society promised to examine Rawlins' data, but added "We
believe Mr. Rawlins has been too quick to cry fake."

After a three-month investigation of Rawlins' charges, a press
conference was sponsored by The Navigation Foundation at which they
dismissed his "sensational claims". As reported in a Baltimore Sun
story syndicated Feb. 2, 1989, "Since October [Natl. Geographic]
Society President Gilbert M. Grosvenor and others had quietly endured
Rawlins' public calls for debate and unconditional surrender on the
Peary issue." The Society was willing to take seriously an analysis
by the British explorer Wally Herbert, based on other evidence, that
a navigation error may have caused Peary to miss the pole by about 45
miles. "Suggesting that Peary might not have reached the Pole is one
thing," said Grosvenor. "Declaring Peary a fraud is quite another."
Rawlins held his own "informal press conference" afterwards, reports
The Sun, in which Rawlins "admitted he had confused time readings for
chronometer checks with altitudes of the sun and had mistaken serial
numbers on the chronometers for navigational observations." Rawlins
conceded, "My interpretation has some problems, and I acknowledge
that. It's fair to say that, if I'm saying Peary was a fraud, I think
I have not yet met the burden of proof."

Finally, in December, 1989, a 230-page report commissioned by the
National Geographic Society was released, concluding that Peary
actually did reach the Pole. As reported in a story on p.1 of the New
York Times, Dec. 12, 1989, a new analysis of Peary's records by
professional navigators concluded that Peary's final camp was not
more than five miles from the Pole. "The report said, there was no
evidence of fraud and deception in the explorer's records. But one
critic, Dennis Rawlins, a Baltimore astronomer and historian, said he
remained convinced, despite the new study, that Admiral Peary did not
reach his goal and had faked his claim."

http://www.freeinquiry.com/skeptic/resources/articles/klass-crybaby.htm