[escepticos] los limites del debate cientifico

Carlos Ungil carlos.ungil en bluewin.ch
Dom Oct 21 21:29:26 WEST 2007

Hola, hola.

Un par de anecdatos [sic]. Supongo que es por la acción maligna del
lobby petrolero que este tipo de cosas tienen repercusion más allá
del circulo de iniciados, pero dan una idea del nivel de
transparencia del debate.

Chau,

Carlitos

1)We have 25 or so years invested in the work. Why should I make the
data available to you, when your aim is to try and find something
wrong with it.

[ Hemos invertido 25 años en esos trabajos. ¿Por qué debería
proporcionarle los datos, si lo que quiere es intentar encontrar
algun fallo? ]

--- Phil Jones (profesor en una universidad británica, miembro del
consejo editorial de la revista Climatic Change, autor de varios
libros sobre el tema)

contestando a una solicitud de datos para reproducir algunos de sus
artículos

2) Carta de Chris Landsea, experto en huracanes, anunciando en 2005
que abandona el IPCC (así resulta más fácil alcanzar consensos, claro):

Dear colleagues,

After some prolonged deliberation, I have decided to withdraw from
participating in the Fourth Assessment Report of the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). I am withdrawing
because I have come to view the part of the IPCC to which my
expertise is relevant as having become politicized. In addition, when
I have raised my concerns to the IPCC leadership, their response was
simply to dismiss my concerns.

(....)

My work on hurricanes, and tropical cyclones more generally, has been
widely cited by the IPCC. For the upcoming AR4, I was asked several
weeks ago by the Observations chapter Lead Author - Dr. Kevin
Trenberth - to provide the writeup for Atlantic hurricanes.

(...)

Dr. Trenberth participated in a press conference organized by
scientists at Harvard on the topic "Experts to warn global warming
likely to continue spurring more outbreaks of intense hurricane
activity" along with other media interviews on the topic.

(...)

I found it a bit perplexing that the participants in the Harvard
press conference had come to the conclusion that global warming was
impacting hurricane activity today. To my knowledge, none of the
participants in that press conference had performed any research on
hurricane variability, nor were they reporting on any new work in the
field. All previous and current research in the area of hurricane
variability has shown no reliable, long-term trend up in the
frequency or intensity of tropical cyclones, either in the Atlantic
or any other basin.

(...)

It is beyond me why my colleagues would utilize the media to push an
unsupported agenda that recent hurricane activity has been due to
global warming.

(...)

The IPCC leadership saw nothing to be concerned with in Dr.
Trenberth's unfounded pronouncements to the media, despite his
supposedly impartial important role that he must undertake as a Lead
Author on the upcoming AR4.

(...)

My view is that when people identify themselves as being associated
with the IPCC and then make pronouncements far outside current
scientific understandings that this will harm the credibility of
climate change science and will in the longer term diminish our role
in public policy.

Sincerely, Chris Landsea