Re: [escepticos] Móviles y salud (mental) - re: a Catala.

Julián 189509 en gmail.com
Jue Mayo 28 14:08:45 WEST 2009

Venga, hombre, que no se diga. Aquí, además, como tiramos con pólvora del
rey, empezamos citando un par de publicaciones serias:

Cellular-telephone use and brain tumors. N Engl J Med. 2001 Jan
11;344(2):79-86.
Brain tumor epidemiology: consensus from the Brain Tumor Epidemiology
Consortium. Cancer. 2008 Oct 1;113(7 Suppl):1953-68
*Copio directamente del texto
**Nonionizing radiation: Electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency cell
phones*
The association of exposure to nonionizing radiation, specifically exposures
in the radiofrequency range (RF) or electromagnetic fields in the
extremely-low-frequency range, and the development of primary BTs remains
unresolved. Of particular interest is the questionable correlation between
both gliomas and meningiomas and cellular phone use. These exposures are
ubiquitous, and recent research focuses principally on mobile phones,
because these RF exposures occur near the head and brain. The possible
influence of currently acceptable low-level RF exposures on carcinogenesis
has been suggested by some studies and warrants further investigation. While
Although the relative rarity of primary BTs necessitates a case-control
study design, these studies experience severe limitations with exposure
assessment because of their reliance on personal recall of cases and
controls of their RF exposures (ie, cell phone use). The INTERPHONE study,
(...) which overall do not identify increased risks for malignant or
nonmalignant tumors in most studies, suggest in some studies a
nonsignificant increase in the risk associated with longer duration of use
or longer follow-up. Publication of the combined results on cell phone use
related to the risk for these tumors, ie, the INTERPHONE study, will be
forthcoming. In the same vein as the INTERPHONE study, a study is being
established to examine the synergistic effect between chemicals and metals
and electromagnetic fields.

Mobile phones, mobile phone base stations and cancer: a review. Int J Radiat
Biol. 2005 Mar;81(3):189-203.
Biophysical considerations indicate that there is little theoretical basis
for anticipating that RF energy would have significant biological effects at
the power levels used by modern mobile phones and their base station
antennas. The epidemiological evidence for a causal association between
cancer and RF energy is weak and limited. Animal studies have provided no
consistent evidence that exposure to RF energy at non-thermal intensities
causes or promotes cancer. Extensive in vitro studies have found no
consistent evidence of genotoxic potential, but in vitro studies assessing
the epigenetic potential of RF energy are limited. Overall, a
weight-of-evidence evaluation shows that* the current evidence for a causal
association between cancer and exposure to RF energy is weak and
unconvincing*.

Y un par más que parecían interesantes, en lo de *Related links*:

Health risks of exposure to non-ionizing radiation--myths or science-based
evidence. Med Lav. 2006 Mar-Apr;97(2):184-8
Mobile phones and brain tumours: a review of epidemiological research.
Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 2008 Dec;31(4):255-67.
*(Copio de su abstract)*
*There are reports of small associations between MP-use ipsilateral to the
tumour for greater than 10 years, for both acoustic neuroma and glioma, but
the present paper argues that these are especially prone to confounding by
recall bias.*

Y recuerdo que uno de los requisitos para establecer un mecanismo de
causalidad es, junto con la secuencia temporal, la plausibilidad biológica.
Y, que yo sepa, las RF no son mutagénicas...

Saludos,
Julián

--
http://perarduaadastra.eu