Re: [escepticos] Mitos médicos

Carlos Dominguez neuroglia.esceptica en gmail.com
Jue Dic 27 15:34:40 WET 2007

Y en los comments al artículo del BMJ,  está éste:

Biochemical and Haematological Myths
Dr Andrew J Misiura,
Senior Lecturer in Exercise Biochemistry
University of Gloucestershire

 My research interest is immunology and I continue to be concerned
that requests for particular blood tests by doctors are illogical and
do not provide valid information on which to base clinical decisions -
consideration should be given to alternative parameters and or samples
such as saliva. For example, the measurement of serum IgA
(immunoglobulin A) in those suffering from recurrent URTIs (upper
respiratory tract infections)or recurrent gut infections is illogical
as sIgA (secretory IgA) present in respiratory and gut secretions is
secreted via a completely independent mechanism to that of serum IgA
and the two have no relationship to one another. Another example is
the obsession with cholesterol measures for CHD (coronary heart
disease)risk when ignoring the evidence for the use of the sensitive
CRP (C-reactive protein) test. It is also noteworthy that when FBCs
(full blood counts)are taken no questions are ever asked about whether
the patient has been exercising just prior to the test which can
radically change white blood cell populations.

Saludetes
Carolus