Re: [escepticos] Escuchar música hace que te inicies antes en el sexo

Akin akinlg en gmail.com
Jue Sep 21 13:48:45 WEST 2006

El otro extract:

Exposure to Degrading Versus Nondegrading Music Lyrics and Sexual
Behavior Among Youth
Steven C. Martino, PhDa, Rebecca L. Collins, PhDb, Marc N. Elliott,
PhDb, Amy Strachman, MAc, David E. Kanouse, PhDb and Sandra H. Berry,
MAa

a RAND, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
b RAND, Santa Monica, California
c University of California, Los Angeles, California

BACKGROUND. Early sexual activity is a significant problem in the
United States. A recent survey suggested that most sexually
experienced teens wish they had waited longer to have intercourse;
other data indicate that unplanned pregnancy and sexually transmitted
diseases are more common among those who begin sexual activity
earlier. Popular music may contribute to early sex. Music is an
integral part of teens' lives. The average youth listens to music 1.5
to 2.5 hours per day. Sexual themes are common in much of this music
and range from romantic and playful to degrading and hostile. Although
a previous longitudinal study has linked music video consumption and
sexual risk behavior, no previous study has tested longitudinal
associations between the content of music lyrics and subsequent
changes in sexual experience, such as intercourse initiation, nor has
any study explored whether exposure to different kinds of portrayals
of sex has different effects.

DESIGN AND PARTICIPANTS. We conducted a national longitudinal
telephone survey of 1461 adolescents. Participants were interviewed at
baseline (T1), when they were 12 to 17 years old, and again 1 and 3
years later (T2 and T3). At all of the interviews, participants
reported their sexual experience and responded to measures of more
than a dozen factors known to be associated with adolescent sexual
initiation. A total of 1242 participants reported on their sexual
behavior at all 3 time points; a subsample of 938 were identified as
virgins before music exposure for certain analyses. Participants also
indicated how frequently they listened to each of more than a dozen
musical artists representing a variety of musical genres. Data on
listening habits were combined with results of an analysis of the
sexual content of each artist's songs to create measures of exposure
to 2 kinds of sexual content: degrading and nondegrading.

OUTCOME MEASURES. We measured initiation of intercourse and
advancement in noncoital sexual activity level over a 2-year period.

RESULTS. Multivariate regression analyses indicated that youth who
listened to more degrading sexual content at T2 were more likely to
subsequently initiate intercourse and to progress to more advanced
levels of noncoital sexual activity, even after controlling for 18
respondent characteristics that might otherwise explain these
relationships. In contrast, exposure to nondegrading sexual content
was unrelated to changes in participants' sexual behavior.

CONCLUSION. Listening to music with degrading sexual lyrics is related
to advances in a range of sexual activities among adolescents, whereas
this does not seem to be true of other sexual lyrics. This result is
consistent with sexual-script theory and suggests that cultural
messages about expected sexual behavior among males and females may
underlie the effect. Reducing the amount of degrading sexual content
in popular music or reducing young people's exposure to music with
this type of content could help delay the onset of sexual behavior.

Me parece que el estudio patina tanto como el artículo de prensa
vaticana, pero como digo soy incapaz de analizarlo por falta de
conocimientos.

Akin

--
Akin